Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Letter to Editor

Reply to Pay to Use I-70 at Peaks?
Jan. 25, 2008

This article presents a very touchy topic for drivers who commute from Denver to the mountains on weekdays or weekends. The idea that cars should pay 5 to 12 dollars per drive on I-70 angers me because it is not like gas isn’t expensive enough. I feel that this attempt to appeal to the emotions of commuters is unsuccessful and would only create more angry drivers on the road. People will still go to the mountains, however now the heavy traffic will either be at a different time of day to avoid tolls, or there will still be the normal traffic pattern with angrier people. I do not think this is a good idea whatsoever, and I become heated inside thinking about paying more money to snowboard.
Using the toll money to create a free bus service to the mountains is an idea I am in favor of, however, unless the convenience of the bus was very high, time and location wise (lots of stops in Denver), I still do not support this. This ecological carpool system is said to have bus-only express lanes, yet with tunnels and things of that sort, taxpayers would only be throwing out more money on top of the initial 5 to 12 dollar fee.

No comments: